Fitness

Meal Prep: Definition

Getting a six-pack has nothing to do with the amount of crunches you do obsessively. There! I said it! One of the first things I learned when starting my fitness journey is that only 20% of how your body looks comes from actually working out. The other 80%? Your diet. You could eat candy and pizza and workout all you want but you will never look like those beautiful figure or bikini girls you want to be. As they say, “A six pack is made in the kitchen, not in the gym.”

Since starting my gym regimen, I have started a clean eating diet that fits into a If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) lifestyle. Macros is short for macronutrients which are proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Proteins help to build muscles, carbs help to fuel your muscles, and fats do a bit of both. It is important to track these because a fluctuation in any of these could mean more fat or less muscle on your body. I use the app MyFitnessPal to track my macros. I love it because you can directly scan in items to get the nutrition facts and help to build yummy IIFYM recipes. Clean eating is getting rid of junk foods and candy that are full of sugars and preservatives and replacing them with fruits and veggies. I find the more color, the better!

13267378_493076710885468_2057868453_n
Baked sweet potatos and steamed broccoli bring color to this otherwise bland meal!

Meal prepping is such a simple way to ensure that you are staying on your diet throughout the whole week. Yes, this sometimes means that you’ll eat the same foods everyday, but I like to mix things up from week to week or even change the order of my meals throughout the day. I usually do my meal prep on Sundays or Mondays, as long as I still have enough meals left from the previous week. Meal prepping is cooking all your foods at once and separating them out into microwavable containers to reheat later in the week. Tupperware becomes your best friend.

12724955_1093293640729591_227552849_n
And this is only one of my cupboards…

Tupperware is super cheap if you don’t really care about how many sections it has or if it’s glass or things like that. Some of my favorite tupperware are the five pack of name brand squares from Target ($3). I’d rather use my money on buying better produce than buying better tupperware.

Meal prep has saved me so much time and money over the years. Since I already have all of my days meals in the fridge, I am never wasting time cooking through the day. I just grab the meal I want and pop in the microwave. Boom! Done! It also helps me to say no to going out. Why would I want to waste money on oily or fatty foods when I have perfectly portioned meals in my fridge? Exactly.

I’ve been meal prepping for over three years now, and I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Stay healthy ladies!

3 thoughts on “Meal Prep: Definition

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s